Sunday 3 June 2007

Godliness with contentment

1Ti 6:6 But godliness with contentment is great gain

My daily readings took me today to begin reading the book of Proverbs again.  Isn't it amazing how you can see things anew EVERY time we read God's word?!  I was particularly struck by the description of those who are "greedy of gain", in Chapter 1:10 of Proverbs.  Those who desire this world's goods are told that it "taketh away the life of the owners thereof".  If that isn't a warning against seeking the "things" of life, I don't know what is!  We mustn't be constantly running after temporal things, but rather "set our affections on things above".  The gain that we need to be seeking is "godliness 
with contentment" 
The things of the Lord truly give us a contentment in our circumstances of life.  If we are close to HIM, we will be reminded that HE is in control of our circumstances, and to feel miserable and discontent is sin.  How often our life falls short of OUR expectations, but, praise God, it is EXACTLY the way HE desires it to be!  

Today, I have been content with the fact that I have not been able to go to Church, due to illness.  There would have been a time where I felt discouraged by a day like today.  But, I can rejoice that God is in control, and I am content!  I gained great blessing by watching 3 different services on-line, and caught the end of a testimony service as well.  I definately would benefit from hearing the sermon that Robert brought this morning on our conflict against the devil - but that will be EXTRA to what I got today!

Bethany was  the only little one at Church today - she happily toddled off with Daddy - "can I go in the FRONT of the car with Daddy" was her request before leaving - the little things in life that bring  joy to children...lol!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

FIRST COMMENT!!!

EEkkk... better make it goo -- so much pressure...

Actually THANK YOU for commenting on MY BLOG!! Hooray!! So sorry you can't camp where you are... I look forward to learning more from you as I visit your blog.

What cute kiddos you have!! So sorry they are sick right now Caroline.

Oops... I hear a 2yo up that is supposed to be napping... how did that happen? Well -- so much for a GREAT COMMENT! HA HA!!

Enjoy blogging... I do.

Unknown said...

Well -- I meant to say... "Better make it good." GOOD... not goo...

Caroline Cordle said...

"goo" may sum up life with little ones slightly better .... lol .... it kinda sticks on your mind (no pun intended!)